Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Swimming...

Another semester has started. I love fall, I love the crisp air in the morning and the cool nights. I love the colors, I love the smell, I just love fall. I love wearing hoodies, football, the school bus driving by in the morning. So many things to love about fall.

A new semester brings new classes, friends, roommates, ward, adventures and challenges. It can be scary, but I've found that I really enjoy the restart of life. Kindof like a clean slate, new chance to set goals and really become who would like to be come.

I've been given an amazing oportunity to really change for the better. A chance to stretch my mind in ways that have never been attempted. Ok well that is a little dramatic, but I mean this class is not your everyday english class. And thats why I like it so much.

In preparation for this class I was very impressed with the teacher who sent out personal cards to inform us a poem we should read, what to bring our first day- which was a white oversized t-shirt, and read some articles that would help explain why he does the things he does. We show up the first day of class, we split up into groups consisting of 6 people. Our assignment was to first set up a time to meet outside of class for two hours, then go to the Hart and check out a swim suit...yes a swim suit. What an adventure. What a great way to meet your class mates, but don't worry Bro. Grant wouldn't judge our bodies if we didn't judge his. While waiting for everyone to show up I really just thought about how why can't I just "jump in" with every class I was taking this semester. I have a motto..."Go Big or Go Home" but I don't normally live that the first day of class. But why not? What am I afraid of, learning new things?

We had a great time that first day of class. Who that so much could be related to swimming. We played water polo. Yes water polo, getting your feet wet is an understatement.




Stevie Smith - Not Waving But Drowning

Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he's dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.
Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.

No comments: