Thursday, November 3, 2011

I'm Thankful Day 3

I'm thankful for music.

Music has always been apart of my life, thanks to my mother.  I took piano lessons, then I quit and started cello lessons.  Thats where my love for classical music began.  I had the opportunity to participate in All City Children's Orchestra, Jordan Youth Symphony, Utah Youth Symphony, and high school orchestra.  I've performed all over the valley and have played lots of the great classical hits by Bach, Mozart, etc.

I grew up loving musicals.  We always look forward to Show Tunes Saturday Night.  I've been to countless shows at Hale Center Theater, I've seen two Broadway productions--Wicked and Mary Poppins. During high school I participated in 9 musical productions. And then 1 1/2 a go I had a dream role of Rosie in Bye Bye Birdie.

My senior year of high school was a high light in my life.  I had 5 music classes in my schedule my favorite being Madrigals.  I've never had a Christmas quite like that one.  We literally were all over the valley sharing Christmas cheer through music.  I'll never forget the time we sang at the Center for Change, or one time singing at a care center and a little old lady waved her arm like she was directing the whole time with a smile on her face.  Or the smiles on the children's faces as we sang of Child's Christmas and Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer.  It definitely was a Christmas to remember all because of the magic of music.

I love dancing to music.  Especially ballroom.  Every Wednesday at BYU-Idaho you could find me at country dancing.  Oh how I loved it.  Then I took a couple ballroom dancing classes.  There's just something about feeling the music and gliding round the floor.

Through these various musical experiences I've had grown intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.  My spirits have been lifted, and I have in a sense been "out of this world".  I love religious music as well.  The LDS Hymns have such a powerful message and bring hope and strengthen my faith.  Different genres of songs are for different occasions.  Cleaning my room: upbeat mix of everything.  Studying or reading: classical, easy listening such as piano or instrumental.  Road trips to Idaho: Country lots of it. Cooking: Easy going stuff like James Taylor or Michael Buble.  There are many many songs that trigger a memory or a time in my life.  I think I became more dependent on different songs in college that was a trying/amazing/emotional roller coaster/exciting/growing time in my life.  And now nearly 2 years later I still have songs that hit it just right for me and I will always relate to this fun time in my life.  SO  I will now leave you with some songs to enjoy.









No comments: