Monday, November 24, 2008

Tradition.....tradition


I'll admit, I have the song from "Fiddler on the Roof" going through my head right now. And lots of memories from when I was in that musical. Many great traditions are in my family. Some favorites are Christmas...on Christmas morning we sleep in and cook a big breakfast and then clean up. One by one the kids go in and open up their stockings and one gift from "Santa" then we take turns opening presents through out the day. Well I guess not through out the day, but until everything has been opened. It's a great time to spend together, and it's different than most families, and it lasts longer than 30 minutes. Another fun tradition is every Labor Day we go camping. I love it's the beginning of fall, and school has started, so it's a nice little break before cracking down into the books. I love spending time with my family. Our favorite spot is Colter Bay by Jenny Lake by Grand Teton National Park. We like to camp in the tent cabins, they have a wood stove in them, and the best part is you don't have to set them up. One night we have a family talent show, that everyone must come prepared to perform, and we just enjoy eachother's company.


I never realized how influencial a tradition can be. When moving in with roommates who do things differently than you do, it doesn't matter if their way is more efficiant you want to do it the way you've always done it. Then I get to thinking, what have I been doing that really isn't the great thing to do. SO... I've made a list of some good traditions here at BYU-Idaho


GOOD


Prayer

Honor Code

-appearance

Clean

Spirit of Ricks

Approved Housing

-wards

Student-Teacher relationships

Activities Program


BAD


Dependency on Electronics

Haters of the Honor Code

Lectures...so boring

Hanging out/Dating



Now these are not all of either of them, but one thing I've realized is the bad traditions typically are brought about by students. I don't think that the founders of this institution and the current administration never had this in mind. But nobody is perfect and sometimes a trend is started among people and it just sticks.


Some traditons that I have in my life up here at school:

Apartment Prayer

Sunday Dinners

Having great discussions with my roommates

Wednesday night country dancing

Involvement on campus


I think of the things that I want to carry on to my future family such as...family prayer and scripture study, recreational activities, music, and lots of love. But if I don't do those now. How do I expect to every carry them through?

No comments: