Tuesday, June 21, 2011


Day 3: A visit to the ORM and American History Museum

CJ had to take Cora to a Dr. appointment so I rode the metro into the city by myself.  It brought back so many memories.  It even smells the same.  I love to people watch and just take it all in while riding.  I got off at Farragut North and walked down 1700 St. Stopped at my favorite Potbellys to eat a sandwich and then I walked over to the office at 1800 G.  I only told 2 people that I was coming to visit so I was really excited to see the reactions.  I walked into the building acting as if I belonged there (I was only dressed in striped sailor shorts and a polo). Went through security, and hopped on an elevator.  I pressed the button to take me to the 8th floor and waited in excitement.  It came to my floor and the doors open and there is Mary, my dear friend.  I couldn't believe it.  She took a quick glance and me and almost walked right past me to get on the elevator.  I had to stop her and said, "Mary, it's me"  She had a look of shock. I just started laughing.  I told her I was expecting to surprise her at her office, not here at the elevator.  She still looked shocked, but she did manage to tell the person she was with to go ahead.  I gave her a big hug and she finally asked what I was doing there. I told her that I had a week off work and came to play.  While standing there by the elevator I also saw Myra, she was happy to see me, and gave me a hug.  Mary finally came out of shock and I offered to walk with her while she went and got her lunch.  We did a quick catch up, and when I got back to the office I made the rounds and said hello to everyone.  It was so fun to be back in the office.  There are some amazing people there that I'm so blessed to have met and built a relationship with.  I bet they never would have thought that 4 years later the intern would still come back to visit.  I made my way back to Mary's desk and we continued to talk for the next hour or so.  I was able to show her pictures of Jeremiah, my family and especially my niece and nephews.  We updated me on her family and she showed me pictures of her growing kids.  It really as if I had never left.  Oh how I cherish my friendship with Mary, I hope one day she will come out to Utah, and I can show her my home.  Alas it was time to say goodbye.  But little did I know that as I was walking out of the office Wandra stepped out and surprised me.  They said now we are even.  Mary walked me out to the car and gave me a great big hug, thanked me for stopping by and said to be sure to say hello to my family.  It was a practically perfect but very short visit.

I told CJ about my visit and we headed to the American History museum.  There were lots of school groups there so we just hit a couple of the exhibits.  A couple of my favorites are the First Lady dresses and The Star Spangled Banner.  I didn't take any pictures because 1. it was very crowded 2. we weren't allowed to take pictures in the special room with the flag.  I love the American History Museum, I love everything about it. I could spend hours and hours there. I'm so grateful to live in this great nation.  Then we stumbled upon Julia Child's kitchen.  That was really fun. I learned that it was the actual kitchen, she donated it to the museum.

We then spent a little bit of time in the gift shop.  I was able to find a tea pot for my mom.  She gave me some money when I left and said to keep an eye for one.  We found 3 actually, apparently all of the presidents have a tea pot, I got her the George Washington one.  
We then headed back home, it was a wonderful day and it turned out better than I had hoped. 

No comments: